Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gentlemen, start your engines

Matt realized a dream today. He got to ride in a two seater Indycar at the Nashville Superspeedway. Racecar driver Davey Hamilton was at the wheel, topping speeds of 160 mph. According to Matt's account (which was somewhat hazy since he admittedly had his eyes closed for most of the ride) they lapped 3 times which as you can imagine didn't take long at all. Unfortunately, in the time it took me to get from the entrance of the speedway to the track, Matt had already gone on his ride and I missed the whole thing. It's probably for the best though. I was getting a little scared as I walked past the ambulance and fire engine that were standing by in case someone crashed. It was probably also best that I didn't read the waiver he signed until after we got home from the track. It basically said that if you die, and there is a fair chance that you will, no one can sue them, even in their negligence. Nice. Had I read that beforehand, there may not have been a ride at all. :-) Anyway, as you can see from Matt's face in the pictures he was in heaven. And I think that after all was said and done, he found a new respect for the women racecar drivers out there (I won't name any names) that he likes to pick on. :-)

Hey, who's that hot racecar driver? :-)Matt and Davey
The car Matt rode in
It was really neat being right down on the track - I have never even been to a race before, much less that close to the cars. It was pretty awe inspiring just to hear them revving up!

2 comments:

lyla said...

i am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous. that is one of my dreams (but i want to drive a nascar car). i would give anything to get to go that fast. how fun!

chesley said...

How Neat! Not something I have any desire to do, but good for you Matt!!