Friday, June 6, 2008

Prayer Warrior

I have learned a tremendous amount during my mere 15 months of motherhood, and I have seen myself reflected in the most innocent of souls in many amazing (and sometimes alarming) ways. There really is nothing like seeing your child grow, learn and become an individual with their own thoughts, ideas and personality. It is a huge responsibility being a parent, and I lie awake many nights wondering if I am setting a good enough example for Sophie. Am I patient enough? Do I discipline enough without being too harsh? Am I a good Chrisitan example for her? Am I setting a good example as a wife? I pray about it a lot and ask God for the guidance and wisdom that I need to be a good mommy for Sophie.

Well, I had a humbling experience today but it was also one of my proudest mommy moments yet. It was lunch time and I had just put Sophie in her chair with her lunch. I walked back towards the kitchen sink to do something, and when I turned back around to see if she was eating she was just sitting there with her little hands clasped together, waiting for me to say a prayer. I had forgotten. So I said a prayer and she happily ate her lunch. Then tonight at dinner, she did it again. I always serve her first then I go back to get my plate. When I got back to the table, she was waiting there patiently, again with her hands clasped. I know now that I won't be forgetting to pray before mealtimes anymore. I have my one year old to put me in my place. :-)

3 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

I call this a mommy payday.

Love the story - you are a great mom! I can just imagine sweet little Sophie sitting there waiting patiently with her hands clasped.

lyla said...

so sweet! lilly has to remind us sometimes. i can just see her with her little hands ready--so adorable.

Unknown said...

You're a wonderful mother and great wife. I'm so very proud of the woman you've become, Angie. And Sophie is delightful!